Caring for the creative. Writers (creatives in general) tend to spend our energy and neglect to recover it. We empty the creative well and forget to replenish the source. Author and artist Julia Cameron wrote a three-book series called The Artist's Way about caring for the creative. Writers have to fill the well or it'll dry up. How long can a vehicle run on fumes?
- Expose yourself to new art. Visit an art museum. Attend an orchestra. Read out of your genre.
- Surround yourself with artsy folk. Creativity is infectious.
- Get out. Meet people. Strike up a conversation with someone on a bus ride.
- Sit still for 10 minutes a day. Meditate. Banish the brain banter.
- Think of creativity as a muscle, exercise it.
- As author of THE ARTIST'S WAY Julia Cameron says, "Fill the creative well."
- Do some yoga. It's about self, being present and aware, and listening to your body.
- Take a walk in the woods or park, alone. Listen to nature around you. It's soul cleansing.
- Laugh often. Psychology Today says, "Laughter is the best medicine. It improves your job performance, especially if your work depends on creativity and solving complex problems."
- Think you should adopt the motto: No rest for the writer? Baloney. Take a break.
- Take a shower. Seriously. It's what the experts say. Something about lather-rinse-repeat. Read more about this on the NPR link below.
- Avoid the "monkey mind" or put your plot bunnies in a cage. Feed & water them, but only let them out to hop around when YOU are ready, one at a time. Remember: You are the master of the funny farm. See video on the Sacred Muse link below for more about the "monkey mind".
- Children's writer, Kristi Holl: Kristi Holl. Her blog is a medicine chest filled with writerly advice.
- Book: THE ARTIST'S WAY by Julia Cameron: The Artist's Way
- NPR: 5 Ways to Spark Your Creativity: 5 Ways to Spark Your Creativity
- Fostering the Creative Mind, a blog post by Sacred Muse: Sacred Muse
- The Forgotten Art of Rest: Forgotten Art: Rest
- If You Want to Write: The Creative Mind: ...the Creative Mind
~Have a writerly weekend y'all! Go. Write. Create. :-)
Note: For the next four weeks, I'll be posting on Mondays as the host for #WipMadness. Feel free to jump in and comment. Who knows, you may even fall in <3 with the group and join us. We're quite <3able peeps!
My regular blog posts will feature only on Wednesdays during the month of August.